Listen.....

Listen.....
Can you hear it?

Saturday, February 2, 2013

"What do you do?"

My husband was born, raised, and grew up in our small town where we live.  I on the other hand had lived in several towns.  He works at a prominent company that employs a good portion of our town's community members.  I don't.  He's well known and he knows a lot of people.  We frequently attend community events, go to company dinners and parties, and quite commonly see people he knows during simple trips to the store.  It's been almost 15 years since I've lived here and even though I've accumulated many "associations" it still amazes me what legacy (little legacy) my husband possesses.

There's those predicaments, those awkward pauses when whoever he's re-associating himself with at the time, the person will turn towards me and ask (as if there's no other question they can come up with); "So, what do you do?"  I can honestly tell you I haven't yet mastered this comeback.  Replying: "I'm a housewife" still struggles to sound dignified.  "I stay home with the kids" for most people doesn't suffice.  But it occurred to me that I should attempt to answer these gnawing, poor judgement minded people by quite simply saying; "I grow things".  As if our self worth is based solely on "what we do?'.  Well, maybe it does.....but is it really the correct question to choose to ask when meeting someone for the first time? 

What we do.  How we reap life's benefits.  What we do with our job in life and how well we do it.  Do we take pride in our accomplishments?  Are our intentions true and just?  Do we value our minds and choices given?  Yes, what I do with my life is important.  I value, I treasure my role.  I enjoy my life and relish all the good and even the bad...afterwards  Are we proud of how we handle challenges and do we overcome them?  Do we appreciate what God has given us and how do we use Him in our lives?  Despite being proud of what I do, it's the task of explaining and conveying it in a way that another would adequately measure the same as I - that is a chore. 

So, the next time when that person for some reason sincerely (or not so sincerely) wants to know "what I do"....I'll simply reply; "I grow things."  If they proceed to ask and really want to know exactly what I grow I'll go on to tell them;  "Oh you know, lots of things.....children, animals, plants, minds, hearts, values, morals,...."

1 comment:

  1. I, too, have stammered recently when asked that inevitable question, "Where do you work?" "What do you do?" Unlike you, I am just UNEMPLOYED. I CAN however say "I'm an HR Professional, currently seeking an employment opportunity." Or, "My most recent position was eliminated during a company down-sizing." Or, "I'm enjoying a break between jobs right now!" By stating it in the most positive way possible it helps to preserve my belief in myself and keeps me from giving in to the temptation of lowering my eyes apologetically or tucking my head.

    You and Ed have made a decision to make raising your kids a priority. What's wrong with saying that? "Ed takes care of the family financially and I manage the kids, the household and the family farm." You are in the enviable position of being a full-time Mom and Educator to Jake and Cora next. This goal isn't accomplished without sacrifice and any option of you pursuing a career or business venture is on-hold until the kids are raised or a pressing need arises. Practice saying it WITH PRIDE! :)

    ReplyDelete